“Clue” understudies step into the spotlight

Oluwatoni Ikhile

Senior Bitaniya Menkir prepares backstage to play Ms. Peacock in “Clue.”

Alexis Ford, Staff Writer

Bitaniya Menkir sat attentively in the audience of the Lightridge auditorium, filled with nervous anticipation as she watched the main cast’s final dress rehearsal. Studying the blocking of the production was one of her responsibilities as an understudy, an ensemble  member who learns someone else’s role so they can act as a replacement on short notice, in the “Clue” cast. 

The play ran from Nov. 3 to Nov. 6, with the main cast giving four performances. For cast members like senior Menkir, the understudy for Mrs. Peacock, preparation began much earlier than opening week.  

As preparation, Menkir says that she had to “memorize a lot of things” and that her role required her to “always be prepared.” 

“The understudies go to a rehearsal and watch the main actors perform,” said Menkir.  “Or, they go to the black box to have a rehearsal  while the main cast is acting.” 

She explains that the understudy cast ran these rehearsals on their own with student director, Cam Porter. 

Menkir said that the understudy group used these rehearsals in the black box to prove to theater director, Brandon Kalbaugh, that the understudies “deserved this: a bigger show.” 

The expectation is that the understudies will remain off stage and they won’t ever get to perform with the main cast.  However, that proved not to be the case for one “Clue” back-up.

Ella McMann, understudy for Miss Scarlett, had to perform in two main productions on Saturday and Sunday after the main actor went down with a sudden illness. 

McMann said that she “felt a sort of nervous excitement because I hadn’t worked with the main cast yet.” 

Despite the anxiety, McMann was very happy to have the opportunity.

”It was my first big role,” said McMann. “I just took the moment to better my acting.”

Menkir loved the concept of “Clue” for the school’s production, however, she “couldn’t help but wish that it had a bigger cast. That way more students could participate and feel more involved.”

This desire for the understudies to get a chance on stage led to the idea for an understudy matinee. On Nov. 5, the main cast stepped aside and the understudies had a chance to be in the spotlight.

Reflecting on the understudy matinee, both actress, McMann, and director, Kalbaugh said that the performance went extremely well. 

“It was very strong,” said Kalbaugh. “Perhaps just as strong as opening night for the main cast.” 

McMann gave a little more insight into some of the challenges that the understudies faced. 

“Almost the whole understudy show was improvised,” said McMann. “At that moment we were all just super nervous and went blank on stage.” 

Both Kalbaugh and McMann commented on the incredible comradeship among the understudy cast.

“I was really proud of how the cast supported each other throughout the whole production,” said Kalbaugh. 

The understudy matinee had free admission, while the main production cost $15 at the door. This left people questioning the reason for the stark contrast in pricing. Kalbaugh said that giving free admission into the understudy matinee was in order to “take a little bit of stress off of the understudies, so that people coming into the show are a little bit easier on their performance.”