Chorus croons at “Coffee House”

Kate Liesemer

Alanna Jackson (right) and Daniela Lilly (left) sing “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Kate Liesemer, Staff Writer

On Nov. 2,  Lightridge Chorus held their annual fall performance.  Called “Coffee House,” the event, which took place in the cafeteria,  included four chorus class performances, including “Cheerleader” by Omi, performed by Bass Chorus, “Riptide” by Vance Joy sung by Treble Chorus, “Lazy Song” by Bruno Mars, sung by Select Bass Chorus, and “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, performed by Select Treble Chorus.

Additionally, twenty-two duets and solos were presented between class songs, with the selections chosen by the performer themselves. 

“I think choosing your own song can help you connect better to the music and the audience,” said sophomore Ella Lee. “ Whenever someone is in touch and in love with what they are performing, it makes it so amazing to watch!” 

For her solo, Lee performed “Winner Takes It All” from the movie “Mamma Mia.”

“I’m almost always anxious before I perform,” said Lee. “But as soon as I start, I put it all out there and give it my best.” 

“I was absolutely terrified to perform and I thought I was gonna throw up,” said freshman Alanna Jackson,  who played guitar and sang in the Treble Chorus’s performance, and performed a duet of “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.  “But I’m very happy that I did, and I would do it again.” 

The audience members enjoyed the show as well. Damaris Odebode is a choir director at Willard Middle School, and she was excited to see her 8th graders, now freshman, sing again. 

“It was just really awesome and so nice to hear your voices and how much they’ve grown and how much, like, they all have enjoyed singing together, “said Odebode. “It was so lovely.” 

The Lightridge Chorus perform next at their annual Winter Concert on Dec. 6th.