Bolt Fest blasts onto Lightridge stage

Tessa Mlaker

First time actor, freshman Laura Mlaker, waits backstage for her cue. Mlaker is appearing in the student produced “Homemade.”

Tessa Mlaker and Taylor Melanson

Lightridge is having its first ever production of entirely student created one act plays. Bolt Fest runs from Jan. 19-21.  The production consists of twelve short plays written and directed by students.

Brandon Foley, one of the student directors, explained that “the winter show, no matter the year, is a really good time to experiment in theater and have fun with it. Bolt Fest is an opportunity for students to feed their creativity and love for theater.”  

Foley is the writer and director of one of the shorts, “Homemade.”   Foley described the story of “Homemade” as “cannibalistic bed and breakfast owners.” 

“The actors and I are working together to create a concept and a script,” said Foley. “Basically, we’re creating a play together from scratch.” 

Directors are also responsible for casting.  

“Casting, for me,” said Foley, “involved a lot of looking for “big choices” as Mr. Kalbaugh says. I was looking for people who really took a risk and jumped into the audition head first.”

Laura Mlaker, a freshman acting as the role of the thief in “Homemade,” explained what it’s like to be new to the complex theater atmosphere.

“I decided to be in the play because I really love the crazy environment and the people, they’re really inspiring,” Mlaker explained. “It’s a really good opportunity to make long lasting relationships and build up my confidence and skills.”

Bolt Fest will be Mlaker’s first production and acting experience.

One of the primary purposes of Bolt Fest is to attract new students to the theater program.  

“I’m excited to see the turn out,”  said Sam Bernat, a sophomore acting in “L for Love.” “So many new people are in this production and it’s very cool to see the theater department grow.”

“If I had to say one thing that always helps me, is to not let the fear of getting embarrassed hold you back,” Bernat opined when asked about new students being interested in theater. “If you’re worried about being embarrassed, you’re never going to grow.” 

Bernat said that the whole cast seemed excited for Bolt Fest, both because of the creative outlet it provides and because there are so many opportunities to get involved.

“My favorite part of this production is seeing all of the different stories being created at once,” said Berant. “It’s going to be amazing.”

BOLT FEST LINE-UP