The Marching Storm finishes up an important year for the program

Jay Bradshaw

Trumpet soloist Ian Barger beings begins his performance of the William Tell Overture at the Oct. 28 home football game.

According to band director Jonathan Philip, the 2022-23 season was “a big growth year” for  the Lightridge High School Marching Band. They participated in several large scale events with great success, all of which added up to a high achieving  year for the Marching Storm.

August 1 marked the start of the band’s second competitive season. Turf Field 2 soon became a second home for band members. Students trudged through hours of marching exercises, music labs, and run-throughs as they perfected their craft. 

Throughout the marching season, the band participated in a series of regional competitions. In their first competition, hosted at Herndon High School, they placed first in their group, winning several notable awards, including Best Color Guard. During their Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association assessment, they were awarded with a superior rating, which is the highest score possible.

“Our main success of this year was making into finals at Bands of America at Delaware,” Phillip said. On Oct. 7, the band traveled to Newark, Delaware, to compete in the well renowned Bands of America competition. Schools from all over the east coast participated in this competition. It was a historical moment for the band, as they achieved regional finals for the first time in their history. They placed 8th overall, a large improvement from the year prior.

Their last competition was the Parade of Champions,  held at James Madison University. Thousands of people showed up to watch  a multitude of different bands on the east coast. The Marching Storm placed 4th out of more than 50 different bands.

On Dec. 3, and for the second year in a row,  the band participated in the Middleburg Parade. This both served as a showcase for the band and as an opportunity to prepare for an even bigger stage.

From Dec. 13 to Dec. 18, the band left for Disney World in Orlando, Fl. Along with exploring the park during those days, students participated in the opening parade celebrating the 50th anniversary of the park. They performed for a global audience, further introducing the concept of marching bands to people outside of the United States. 

Phillip said that the key to success next season is to “keep working hard, marching band is such a great opportunity to meet new people, to experience new things, and look for new opportunities to join different marching bands.”