Powderbuff game leads to questions about boys’ volleyball

Sara Yusuf

The junior boys’ Powderbuff team huddles on the court discussing strategy.

Sara Yusuf, Jessica Abuya, and Lalitha Aravind

As school ended on January 13, students headed to the gym  for the annual volleyball Powderbuff game, hosted by the junior class. The junior and senior boys took  the court playing against each other, with coaching from the girls varsity volleyball team. Tickets were $5, and profits went to the prom funds.

The seniors defeated the juniors within two sets, the game concluding with a final score of 2-0. The seniors won both sets, 25-13 and 25-23.

¨Boys volleyball is really fun and after doing Powderbuff the past two years, I have really seemed to enjoy volleyball more and more,¨ said senior Dylan Goldberg.

As the game was coming to an end, a question came to mind: Should Lightridge have a boys volleyball team? 

Sophia Kim, one of the senior coaches of the Powderbuff game, said that there are Lightridge boys interested in playing volleyball.

“We actually have a co-ed volleyball [club], because a bunch of the guys who are interested in playing volleyball came up to us volleyball girls, asking to make a club,” said Kim. “We go to the rec center, but I definitely think Loudoun County should make [boys volleyball] an official sport at school.”

Kim also stated that many boys across the county are interested in playing volleyball, not just Lightridge students. 

“I know a lot of people from different schools in Loudoun, not just Lightridge, but from [John] Champe and Freedom and other schools,” she said. “They all have guys who love playing volleyball so they should definitely be included.”

Amaya Bostick, a junior player for the Lightridge volleyball team says she knows boys that are interested in volleyball too, including her brother. “I think [boys volleyball] should definitely be a sport in Loudoun County. My brother plays volleyball and he’s really passionate about it.” 

Edrees Yaqub, a senior who played in the Powderpuff game, supported the idea of a boys volleyball team becoming available at Lightridge.

¨If there was a boys volleyball team at Lightridge, I would definitely try out and play,¨ said Yaqub. ¨I didn’t play a fall sport, so I would be very interested, especially because I enjoyed Powderbuff so much this year.¨

There are some high schools in Northern Virginia that have boys volleyball as a sport. For example, McLean High School, West Springfield High School, and Justice High School all offer varsity levels of boys volleyball. 

When asked about the possibility of boys volleyball becoming an official sport in Loudoun County Public Schools,  Lightridge Athletic Director Jason Treon said that sports like field hockey and  crew recently became official sports in Virginia, through VHSL (Virginia High School League), but there have been no efforts made to do this with boys volleyball.