New mythology class offered

lightridgenews staff

Just one of the posters that line the halls advertising the new mythology class.

Sara Yusuf, Staff Writer

When you hear the word mythology you think about Hercules, Zeus, and Percy Jackson. But according to English teacher Gregg Greentree who is teaching a new mythology elective, there is so much more to mythology.

“I said I want you to know up front that this is not a Greek mythology class. Do not take this class if you’re coming to learn Hercules or Zeus,” said Greentree. 

Greentree explained that the class is designed  to show students different cultures and religions and how they all overlap.  Some of the myths being covered are Greek, Indian, Native American, and African. Greentree says he hopes,  “at the end of this mythology class helps students realize that we have far more in common than the differences.” 

The class came about when Greentree was looking through the county handbook. 

“ I was scrolling through and under English electives there was mythology, and I was like whoa mythology that’s kinda cool,” said Greentree.  He said he gets excited about mythology, so he hopes students do too. He wants his class to be one where you can have fun learning.

Greentree says his favorite part of the class is the stories, because they remind him of Marvel superheroes and villains.

“ I was a comic book kid,” said Greentree. “Mythology is just comic books, like Batman and Spiderman are really no different than a lot of stuff you’ve read in Greek mythology.”

The two mythology class interest meetings had more than 50 students attend. The class is open to all grade levels.