Lightridge Sports Scores
  • May 16 / Varsity Girls TennisLightridge - 1, Riverside - 5
  • May 16 / Varsity Girls SoccerLightridge - 3, Briar Woods - 4
  • May 16 / Varsity BaseballLightridge - 13, Riverside - 1
  • May 16 / Varsity SoftballLightridge - 3, Independence - 5
  • May 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseLightridge - 12, Independence - 7
  • May 15 / Varsity Boys LacrosseLightridge - 5, Stone Bridge - 13
  • May 13 / Varsity Boys TennisLightridge - 3, Independence - 5
  • May 13 / Varsity Boys SoccerLightridge - 1, Stone Bridge - 2
  • May 9 / JV Boys SoccerLightridge - 1, Potomac Falls - 0
  • May 9 / JV Girls LacrosseLightridge - 3, Potomac Falls - 1

Lightridge News

The student produced news site for Lightridge High School

Lightridge News

Lightridge News

Katie Nutt, LeAnne Howard, Torrey E. Taussig talk to local high school students at the NATO focused  Black Professionals in International Affairs event.  Photo courtesy of the Black Professionals in International Affairs.
Students meet with NATO officials
Sabry Tate, Managing Editor • June 11, 2024
SAVY Pod Episode Six: Off to College
SAVY Pod Episode Six: Off to College
Vy Bui and Saara IslamJune 11, 2024
Sophomore pitcher Dylan Herr fires from the mound.
Baseball improves over last season
Aidan Ryan, Staff Writer • June 7, 2024

Meet the APs: Jeremy Cortash

Part two of a four part series
Assistant Principal Jeremy Cortash stands at the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Photo provided by Cortash.

“When we first came in and walked the building, the floors were just mud,” said Lightridge assistant Principal and founding faculty member Jeremy Cortash, regarding the state of the school the first time he walked on campus.

Currently serving as the Assistant Principal over last names A-Dh and Exceptional Ed and Health and PE, Cortash was one of the original administrators who helped decide everything from the shade of blue and yellow for the school colors to the type of chairs and desks in each class.

Cortash’s work history had a surprising beginning; working on one of his friend’s grandparent’s dairy farm milking cows at thirteen years old. Cows, however, were not to play a major role in his future.

“My whole life I had wanted to become an attorney,” Cortash said about his childhood dream job. After majoring in history, he took the LSAT and was accepted to law school. During that time he was tutoring struggling high school and middle school students in history and fell in love with teaching kids. He decided to forget about law school and returned to university to get a masters degree in teaching. When choosing what subject to teach, history was the obvious choice.

“I’ve always been a big history nerd,” he said. “When I read at home it’s always straight history”.

Originally from Upstate New York, Cortash said the main reason he moved was to escape the frigid north eastern winters. At the time it was difficult to get a teaching position, but after only three interviews Cortash was able to get a job in Prince William County. Though he enjoyed PWCS, he said that since Loudoun County schools were smaller it helped him feel more connected to the student body.

I’ve always been a big history nerd.

— Jeremy Cortash

Working in Loudoun was a breath of fresh air and a welcome change from his previous 50 minute commute to Prince William. Living closer to home allowed him to spend more time with his wife and four kids.

Working at a highschool can be quite time consuming with coming in early to help teachers and also planning and attending events and sports after. Nevertheless, Cortash always makes sure to balance his busy schedule to be able to spend time with his family.

He has always been an active person, spending his time climbing, ski-ing, and snowboarding. He worked for Red Bull in college and taught wakeboarding back in New York. His sport oriented lifestyle has also come with many injuries including a torn ACL, broken elbow, and most of his bones in his hand.

Cortash wants the students of Lightridge to know this is his favorite job he’s ever had.
“I wouldn’t come to school everyday if he didn’t love it,” said Cortash. “ It’s one of those places that you come to and you feel like you’re not working.”