Lightridge Sports Scores
  • Apr 9 / Varsity Girls LacrosseLightridge - 17, Broad Run - 1
  • Apr 9 / JV Girls LacrosseLightridge - 12, Broad Run - 2
  • Apr 8 / Varsity Girls TennisLightridge - 2, Riverside - 7
  • Apr 8 / Varsity Boys TennisLightridge - 1, Riverside - 8
  • Apr 8 / JV Boys SoccerLightridge - 3, Stone Bridge - 0
  • Apr 8 / Varsity Boys SoccerLightridge - 3, Stone Bridge - 0
  • Apr 8 / Varsity BaseballLightridge - 5, Stone Bridge - 6
  • Apr 8 / Varsity SoftballLightridge - 3, Stone Bridge - 0
  • Apr 8 / JV BaseballLightridge - 1, Stone Bridge - 7
  • Apr 8 / JV SoftballLightridge - 1, Stone Bridge - 6

Lightridge News

The student produced news site for Lightridge High School

Lightridge News

Lightridge News

Vacancies in teaching positions have jumped 25% in recent years as more teachers leave the profession and less recent college graduates decide to pursue careers in education.
Teacher shortage hits Loudoun and Lightridge
Lalitha Aravind, Associate Story Editor • April 11, 2024
Junior Lexi Musick gets down behind home plate in the varsity softball game against Millbrook on March 11.
Spring Sports Photo Roundup
Amber Baptista and Kendall MatthewsApril 4, 2024
This coveted music award isnt always without  controversy. 
Graphic courtesy of The Recording Academy.
Lightridge corrects the Grammy record
Aanya Dhannapuneni, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

New vending machines serve up limited usage

The+schools+three+new+vending+machines+come+with+a+set+of+rules+that+govern+their+use.+
Shriv Muthialraj
The school’s three new vending machines come with a set of rules that govern their use.

New vending machines have brought an assortment of snacks to Lightridge. Many students see this as an opportunity to refresh themselves during the long school day, but the machines may not actually help much due to the ground rules surrounding their use.

The three new machines in the school are located in the fine arts hallway, world languages hallway, and outside the main gym. These new additions to the school only work before and after school, annoying many students.

The vending machines are regulated by the county based on nutritional standards, which is the reason they aren’t accessible during school hours.

“The county regulates the food distribution times so as to not to compete with the cafeteria foods that we have,” explained Student Activities and Engagement Coordinator Jake Johnson. “You shouldn’t be worried about food during the day because we provide enough food during breakfast and lunch time.”

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA) is a document written for policy makers, federal nutrition program operators, nutrition educators, and health care providers that enforces nutritional standards in schools. The DGA guidelines are required to be followed by the Health, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010. This act was promoted by Michelle Obama and helps schools across the nation provide healthy foods for their students while also giving low-income students easy access to school meals.

Providing the snacks served in the current vending machines during the school day would violate the DGA and Health, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 because the majority of the snacks go against the nutritional standards listed in the bill and guidelines. Having the vending machines open before school and after school makes sure that the nutritional standards are being met during the school day.

View Comments (1)